Frequently Asked Questions

How do I recognise when to move into care?

Moving into a care facility is never an easy decision to make. The first signs that can let you know if you need to consider care is if you are in need of assistance with activities of daily living and when normal day-to-day tasks have become too difficult to manage without help from others.

The best thing to do is discuss this with someone who respects your situation and knows you well. This could be a family member, a trusted friend or your local doctor. Another way to understand your needs is to consult with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), they specialise in this area.

Regardless of your situation you will need to have an assessment with the ACAT team prior to entering residential aged care. So it may be a good idea to speak to them and tell them about your needs and learn what options are available for you.

What is an assessment?

An assessment is an evaluation by a member of the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) who is a health care professional in the area of aged care. They will visit you and ask you some questions about your life and lifestyle to find the best possible care options for you. You may have anyone present with you for the assessment, such as a carer or family member. You can also instruct your family doctor to provide your medical history to the ACAT representative.

What if I only need care for a short time?

This is known as Respite Care. Respite is a period of temporary accommodation in a residential aged care facility, which may be required for a number of reasons which can include:

  • Trying out a care home before making a decision to move permanently.
  • A carer or support person might be going away on a holiday or unavailable for a period of time.
  • In emergency situations.

Anyone with an ACAT assessment can access 63 days of respite care per financial year.

Carrington provides Respite Care in conjunction with the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre. Please call them on 1800 052 222 for all respite bookings.

Who are the staff working in Residential Aged Care?

Carrington employs passionate and qualified care staff including Registered Nurses, Care Team Leaders, Care Service Employees and allied health professionals to provide care and services to all our residents. Carrington staff are trained to uphold our values and philosophy of person centred care. Carrington has a code of conduct and ethics which ensures all residents are safe and nurtured in our care.

What kind of personal care can I expect to receive?

Carrington provides the full range of personal care options to suit individual needs and abilities.  All personal care is provided in a dignified and respectful environment.

What do I have to pay for when I go into aged care?

A resident’s fees and charges can be made up of 3 components:

  1. Accommodation Payment +
  2. Basic Daily Care Fee +
  3. *Means-tested Care Contribution (not everyone needs to pay this)

What someone will pay is very much based on their own individual financial situation.

Included in the fees are:

  • Accommodation
  • Nursing care by qualified staff
  • Nutritious meals catered to individual dietary requirements
  • General laundry and cleaning services
  • Assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, toileting, dressing, eating and general mobility
  • A range of toiletry items

Are there any other additional charges?

Yes. The following additional items are at each resident’s cost: Medications, personal effects such as clothing, hairdressing, alcohol, dry cleaning, postage and telephone, Foxtel, newspapers/magazines, individual toiletry items.

Will I have my independence?

Carrington promotes a person centred care approach which includes supporting a resident’s independence, choice and consultative decision making.

May I have my usual doctor?

Yes, if your doctor is willing to continue your care in residential aged care. If not, we will supply you with a list of visiting doctors from which you may select the doctor of your choice.

What activities including religious and cultural services are available in your care facilities?

Individual interests, customs, beliefs, cultural and ethnic lifestyles are encompassed by the Diversional Therapy service. Each of our facilities hold regular resident meetings and we encourage you to attend and provide us with feedback.

What is the food like?

All meals are cooked on site by professional chefs and the menu is designed with a dietitian.

Is there transport for social outings?

Yes. We have our own air-conditioned bus, fitted with an electronic lift for wheel chairs, which is shared by our group of facilities. Our outings are varied and suitable for all of our residents’ enjoyment. When space permits and in consultation with staff, family are welcome to accompany residents.

May I have visitors whenever I wish?

Absolutely, we encourage all of our residents to have visitors.

Can my relatives join in the activities?

We encourage and welcome relatives and friends to join in all the activities held in our facilities including celebrations for special events, such as Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and birthdays. Notices and flyers are posted on our notice boards with upcoming activities and events.

May I bring my own TV & radio?

Yes you can. Depending upon the type of television, you may need to provide a suitable TV stand or wall bracket. Foxtel is also available. Installation and subscription costs will be at the resident’s own expense.

May I bring some personal belongings?

This is your home and we encourage you to decorate your personal space in a way that reflects you, with photos, pictures, etc. Items of furniture such as a comfortable chair may be brought into the home in consultation with the staff prior to admission, if the room space allows it.


View a map of the Carrington estate and our facilities


Our in home and respite care services have helped hundreds of people continue to live comfortably in their own homes

Community Care →


Call our community care team and let’s help you get back on track