Frequently Asked Questions

How do I access the right help at home?

Deciding you need help is not an easy decision and there may come a time you may find it difficult to manage at home with day-to-day living activities.

We can help and provide our clients with many different services including showering, getting to medical appointments, visiting the library, going out to lunch and meeting friends, shopping and preparing meals.

If you want to find out what’s available and how to get started, our Community Care service team will be able to assist you.

Whatever your needs might be, once you decide you would like help at home there are different types of government approved aged care services that will enable Carrington to provide to support you.

What next?

First you will need to contact the My Aged Care service on 1800 200 422 or go to the website:

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is a website and contact centre set up by the Government to help providers and consumers navigate the aged care system.

You can call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422, Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and on Saturdays, 10am to 2pm, local time across Australia.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can get help through the National Relay Service (NRS). Call 1800 555 677 and ask for 1800 200 422 (consumers).

Alternatively, you can visit the NRS website at and choose your preferred access point.

What happens when I call ‘My Aged Care’?

When you call My Aged Care they will help you and discuss the types of services you need. They will create a client record and refer you for an assessment. An assessor will meet with you to discuss your needs at home.  You may consider some of the following services you might need help with:

  • Help with housework
  • Help with personal care such as bathing, showering and dressing
  • Help with meals and food preparation
  • Help staying physically active
  • Social support and activities
  • Help with transport
  • Nursing care
  • Allied health support such as physiotherapy, podiatry or a dietician
  • Maintenance and modifications to your home
  • Goods and equipment to help you
  • People you can talk with through counselling services

Once you have been assessed by My Aged Care you can then pick your service and contact Carrington Community Care on 4645 0341 to get started.

Do I have to pay a contribution for my care?

Yes, you will have to pay a contribution to your daily care and this can be discussed directly with our professional Client Care Co-ordinators.

Contributions vary depending on a income tested fee from the Government.

The Governments website can explain how the fees are worked out.

Does Carrington employ staff or do they use contractors?

Carrington Community Care employs their own staff and only uses contractors for home maintenance / modifications and some allied health services, such as podiatry, massage, occupational therapy and counselling.

What if I have a concern with the service I am receiving?

Carrington Community Care has a complaints policy and you are able to call you Client Care Co-ordinator directly if you have any complaints or concerns about the service you are receiving.

How do I know when my care worker is coming to my home to help me?

Once you sign a Service Agreement with Carrington Community Care you will be provided with a home folder  which will show your person centred Care Plan and the schedule of when your services will be booked in for. All of this will be discussed with you while we develop your Individualised Care Plan together.

Is my care worker qualified?

All Carrington Community Care employees are certified in ageing, disability or community care. This includes first aid, manual handling and clinical care. We also have a Registered Nurse and Physiotherapist on staff.

If my care needs change how can Carrington help me?

Please speak to your Client Care Co-ordinator directly. We will monitor and review your needs formally every 12 months or as your needs change during the course of the year. We are here to help support you in your home and help you to stay as independent as possible.

Here are links to information provided by the government on Aged Care in the home:

 Commonwealth Home Support Program

Home Care Packages

What areas are serviced by Carrington's Community Care Team?

Carrington is able to offer Community Care services in the following regions:




Call our community care team and let’s help you get back on track