Carrington is a non-profit, charitable public benevolent organisation situated approximately 4kms south west of the historic town of Camden in New South Wales.
In 1888, William Henry Paling, a wealthy businessman and philanthropist, generously donated his 500 acre ‘Grasmere’ property worth £20,000 complete with stock, dairy, irrigation appliances, and two cottages, plus £10,000 to the people of NSW, in order to establish the Carrington Centennial Hospital for Convalescents and Incurables at Camden.
The Governor of the day was Lord Carrington and the Deed of Gift was presented to him for the Centenary of the Colony.
When the Carrington Centennial Hospital was opened in August 1890 it was the first public convalescent hospital built in NSW. The historic sandstone/brick building is a landmark in the Camden area, and is an icon for the ‘Excellence in Care’ that has been so much a part of Carrington for over 125 years.